Friday, January 3, 2014

Super Low Sodium Spaghetti

I've had some health problems that I haven't quite figured out yet...that'll come with more Dr appointments.  But for now, I have decided to do a low sodium diet to try and lower my blood pressure until I can find out what's causing the slight increase in my bottom number and making my heart race.

No one is liking it too well, but the way I look at it is that we will be healthier for it in the long run.

Did you know that one teaspoon of salt contains 2325 mg's of sodium?  A low sodium diet ranges from 2300 down to 1100 mg's of sodium.  If you start paying attention to your intake, you'll be blown away like we were!  Just take look at a hamburger and fries from McDonalds...that'd be all you could eat in one day!

So, I have set out on a quest in finding a way to make low sodium food and for it to be tasty.  I haven't quite mastered that yet, but I am finding it fun trying!  Plus I am learning and feeling much better day by day.

Now...here's one recipe I did making spaghetti.

Here's what you'll need.


2 cans of low sodium/no salt added diced tomatoes(mine was Kroger brand)
2 tablespoons of tomato paste(low sodium)
8 oz of vegetable juice(low sodium)
1 green pepper
1 cup of water
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 package of meat (I used real lean hamburger, the sodium was way less that turkey burger)
1 package of whole wheat noodles
Lots of spices!!!  No sodium of course.
I used lots of garlic, onion powder, onion flakes, Italian spice... tasting to your liking.

Cook your meat separately with a green pepper and seasoning to give the meat some zing.
In another pot, add all of the other ingredients (minus the spaghetti) and let simmer for about an hour.  Mine came to a boil quickly so I turned down the heat after 15 minutes  and then simmered for the rest of  time.  You'll know when it's finished.  Keep stirring occasionally and taste to make sure it's to your liking.


I forgot to take a photo of the diced tomatoes.  But if my math is correct, the sodium intake works out divided by four to about 140 mg's of sodium.  That leaves room for a salad and dessert! No one could eat the portion that it would be divided up to, but that gives you an idea of what the sodium would be.  Really...it was less because we could all have about 2 meals a piece from this instead of one. 8 meals in total.

Meat:  75 mg sodium for 4 ounces
Diced tomatoes (2 cans):  90 mg sodium
2 tablespoons of tomato paste:  30 mg sodium
8 oz. vegetable juice:  140 mg sodium
Spaghetti:  0 sodium
                 _________________________
             560 divided by 4 = 140 total sodium 


Now, doesn't that look good?


I will not lie...it was a little bland when one is used to lots of garlic salt and prego!  But I added a little vinegar and sour cream to mine when I started eating and it did the trick.  I have found sour cream and vinegar taste great together!  Who knew!!!  2 tablespoons of sour cream are only 15 mg's of sodium...and I love sour cream!  Vinegar is 0!  

I am learning more and more every day and taking it slow.  Making things from scratch is the key to lowering your sodium.  All of the prepackaged stuff is super high!  

I know this has been a different post with lots of reading...but if it can help someone to lower their sodium like me, then it's worth it!






             







2 comments:

  1. Your quest to lower sodium intake has rubbed off on us, too! We spent nearly double the time grocery shopping this week as we read all of the labels for sodium (and sugar) content. It's so sad that our modern day hectic lives have caused us to opt for quick and easy, which almost always translates into unhealthy. When I was much younger, I ate whatever I wanted and the fast food industry had a willing customer. Sadly, that kind of nonchalance catches up. I'm SO proud of you for your perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in...I love hearing from you! Hugs, Melanie