Monday, February 29, 2016

How to make a TINY bathroom Work

Let's face it...not everyone has large bathrooms with natural light.  So what do you do when this is you?
You plan, calculate your moves and the budget you have to work with and most importantly you need to think about how you want everything to function.  I am all about things looking good but having lot's of practicality.

This is right after we hung the cabinet on the wall.  The doors in the corner hid the plunger and commode cleaner and the little cabinet to the left held the bath tissue.  


We have one closet that holds all of the towels, sheets and a clothes hamper.  I didn't have room to keep those things in there, so I had to get creative because I cannot stand to see things like that out in the open.


Can you believe we made this closet too?  It was totally wasted space!
Little by little we've added more storage but 
this bathroom still just wasn't right to me.

So this is what I did.


I found a little cabinet at Home Goods in the kids section.  It had ABC's as pulls on the drawers that I pulled off and painted over then added true drawer pulls.  Now it holds the bath tissue.
And the cute toilet brush was another find.  Now it's pretty enough to be out in the open!



I put the other cabinet over in the corner where the doors were and hid the plunger in it.  The magazine holder got lowered and the bath tissue holder found a new home on the bath vanity.

Also, I made a rug for in front of the commode.  it was a "Shabby Chic " rug that had some of the pretty scallop edging missing.  The half that was messed up got cut off.  It was perfect for the tight spot and cute too!


Adding another towel hook on the other side of the cabinet added symmetry and more convenience.    Just small little changes, but it made things work and look so much better.


Painting the walls a pale blue with a creamy beadboard wall paper on the lower half, sure did brighten this small space up.  
I have found white to be my friend!  It makes things look bigger than what they truly are and it keeps things nice and light.  
This tiny downstairs bathroom has had many looks and originally was built for an open garage/basement.  Can you believe this room used to be a deep red and gold?  I look back and think what was I thinking?  Those were the days when I loved French Country.  I don't think I will ever go back to dark colors again!
Well, that's it for now.  I think I will rest well knowing the bathroom is at it's best for now.

Hope you all have a blessed week!






2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,
    Everything is so pretty and feminine. I love ruffles and pastels with lots of white and your home just makes me swoon! I am trying to copy you..... I hope you don't mind. You are so creative and talented! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks lovely! :-) Have a great week!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping in...I love hearing from you! Hugs, Melanie